- Dice all the vegetables and bacon and set everything aside.
- In a large stock pot, brown the bacon. Add the diced carrots, celery and onions and start to sweat them.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic. Stir occasionally.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, basil, parsley and bay leaves. Simmer for about 45-50 minutes.
- In a separate pot bring water to boil and cook the small pasta. Drain, cool and set aside.
- Strain and rinse the beans and add to the soup. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with a small amount of pasta in a soup bowl and ladle the soup over the pasta.
- Add freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.