Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars Chocolate chip cookies and caramel combine to create this perfectly soft, gooey cookie bar. Bet you can't have just one...
- 20 Minutes
- 30 Minutes
What you need
- In a clean, heavy bottom pan over medium heat, pour in sugar so it evenly covers the bottom of the pan.
- Let sit in the pan, for about 8 minutes, until about ¾ of the sugar has turned to liquid. Begin swirling the liquid sugar in your pan to keep the center from burning. Keep a very close eye on the sugar!
- Add in your butter and quickly begin whisking.
- While continuing to whisk, and almost immediately after the butter is in the pan, add the cream and continue to whisk to incorporate all of the ingredients into the sugar.
- The caramel will begin to bubble. Be careful not to allow the caramel to boil or bubble over as you’re whisking.
- Once incorporated, your caramel will be a pretty, light brown color. Carefully add the caramel to a mason jar and allow to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla together until fluffy.
- Alternate adding one egg and one cup of flour at a time and blend until all the flour is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Spread a layer of cookie dough to fill three-quarters of a half baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle caramel over the cookie dough.
- Crumble the remainder of the cookie dough on top of the caramel.
- Place back in the oven for about 15 minutes. Check the bars for doneness. Depending on how much caramel you drizzled, you may need to bake for additional time.
- When done, allow to cool and cut into squares.