Eggs in Purgatory Has anyone ever tried Eggs in Purgatory (Italian Shakshuka)? I've added sausage, jalapeno and doused the tomato sauce in olive oil to make this traditional Italian dish my own!
- 30 Mins
- 1 Hr 30 Mins
What you need
- Place a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the tomato sauce.
- Use the cans to measure ½ can of water and get any remaining tomato sauce (rinse the cans going back and forth) to the sauce.
- Add all dry ingredients and stir well. Taste for seasoning and allow to cook for 1 hour on a low simmer. Stir occasionally.
- The tomato sauce can be prepared 1-3 days in advance and can be frozen for later use.
- Pre-heat the oven to 360°F
- In a large cast iron skillet, brown the sausage and set aside.
- Thinly slice the jalapeno and small dice the red onion. Sear the vegetables on high heat and add back the sausage. Add 2-3 cups of tomato sauce.
- Generously drizzle with olive oil, but do not stir it in to the tomato sauce.
- Use a spoon to create an indent in the tomato sauce. Crack an egg into the indent. Repeat until all eggs have been cracked.
- Place in the oven for about 8-12 minutes for over easy eggs. For medium to hard eggs, cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with warm, buttered crusty French or sourdough bread.